North Carolina Military Foundation
North Carolina is honored to be the home of so many military installations and servicemembers and I am proud of our strong military and defense sector economy. The NC Military Foundation plays a critical role in supporting and growing our defense economy and North Carolina is fortunate to have its insight and influence working on behalf of our state.
– Governor Roy Cooper
The North Carolina Military Foundation is a private, non-profit economic development group focused on growing North Carolina's defense economy in a way that generates new long-term investment and job opportunities.
Led by some of the nation’s most distinguished military retirees and the state’s preeminent corporate citizens, the Foundation leads high-impact strategic growth initiatives and positions key organizations and senior leaders to protect and grow North Carolina’s defense economy.
- Advising NC’s senior leaders on critical defense sector issues,
- Setting NC’s defense economic development priorities and target market areas
- Recruiting new DoD elements, defense contractors, and industry conferences to the state
- Creating non-traditional partnerships supporting emerging military needs
The Foundation’s unique ability to lead government, military, industry, and academic partners in collaborative efforts toward common objectives continues to create opportunities for North Carolina while augmenting the capabilities of the nation’s military.
When founded in 2006, the Foundation gave North Carolina its first real appreciation of the military infrastructure within its borders and outlined a path to maintain and expand these military assets. Since then, the annual economic impact of military installations and defense related industry in North Carolina has growth from $18 billion to over $66 billion, making it the state's second largest economic sector.
The Foundation has played leading roles in key development initatives, including:
- Hosting each of the past 3 NC Governors for business development trips to the AUSA Annual Meeting
- Leading over 30 organizations in NC’s bid to host Army Futures Command
- Building the UNC Partnership for National Security – leveraging university assets to support DoD needs
- Forming the partnership between SOCOM and the NC Motorsports Alliance
- Establishing NC4ME, North Carolina’s nationally recognized military employment solution
The Foundation’s Defense Asset Inventory and Target Industry Cluster Analysis pinpoints where the state’s strengths in industry, academia and R&D coincide with the emerging needs of the military and homeland security. This strategy – actionable by industry and economic developers across the state – promotes innovation clusters for six target markets where North Carolina can best compete:
- - C4ISR (command, control, communications, computers, intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance)
- - fuel and power
- - human factors
- - performance materials
- - RESET/vehicles support activities
- - unmanned systems
The Foundation is a statewide, non-partisan and nonprofit economic development organization funded entirely by its corporate board members. All board members serve voluntarily.